This audio is automatically generated. Please let us know if you have any comments.
Dive brief:
- New York has $16 billion The Gateway Project received $30 million in federal dollars Feb. 13, according to the project’s developer, after a missed court deadline for an appeal further delayed the project’s funding.
- The Gateway Development Commission said it received the initial payment and expects another $205 million in repaid funds. The cash infusion, however, did not restart work on the shuttered Hudson Tunnel job linking New York and New Jersey.
- “Construction remains halted at this time and we are working with our contractors to plan how to deploy these funds most effectively and get workers back to work to resume some work as soon as possible,” GDC said in a statement on its website on Friday.
Diving knowledge:
President Donald Trump’s administration cut reimbursements to Gateway on Sept. 30 because it had met government-mandated workforce diversity goals. GDC had it had its own financing channels since then, but he said in January the project should stop February 6 if funds were not restored. When they weren’t, the work went dark.
During the weekend, Trump further criticized the job in a Truth Social post that was republished on X. In a missive comparing the project to California’s beleaguered high-speed rail projectTrump promised that federal funds would not be used if Gateway goes over budget.
“Please let this statement stand for the fact that under no circumstances will the Federal Government be responsible for ANY COST EXCESS, NOT ONE DOLLAR! The Federal Government is willing to meet, however, to make sure this does not happen!” Trump wrote in his message.
